12 Things Jonathan Adler Can't Live Without

Getty
It's not quite a rags-to-riches narrative – it's more a tale of mud to mogul. Jonathan Adler fell in love with the pottery studio as a teen at summer camp. Now his colorful, midcentury-inspired lifestyle brand has gone global, with 30 stores around the world, an extensive line of home accessories and furniture, and fabric and rugs for Kravet. The impish designer also finds time for the occasional decorating project, including his imminent refresh of the Parker Palm Springs hotel in California. "Design has gone from a sleepy world to a bacchanal of self-expression and creativity," Adler says. "It's a fun time to be a designer."

Source: Elle Decor

1Grace Jones's Nightclubbing
CBW/Alamy
My teen years were spent listening to this album and dreaming of my future in NYC.

2Amangiri
Getty
I'm not religious, but if heaven exists, I hope it looks just like this Utah resort.

3Barbasol Shaving Cream
CBW/Alamy
Pharmacy shelves are groaning with alternative shaving lotions, potions, and soaps. They should just stock Barbasol. The best.

4Victoria And Albert Museum
Gallerystock.com
I spent my junior year in London, ignoring my studies and instead poring through each and every object in this collection. It's the anchor of my design odyssey.

5Comme des Garçons Play Cardigan
The perfect blend of Mr. Rogers and Mr. Warhol. I live in it.

6Paris Is Burning
Everett Collection
The most prescient movie of all time. Poignant, inspiring, provocative.

7Brass Bird Bowl
My most successful designs feel as if they were uncovered rather than created. That's how I feel about this one.

8Uniqlo Skinny-Fit Tapered White Jeans
The only pants I own. I have 40 pairs and wear them everywhere, including to weddings, funerals, and brises.

9PG Tips
The strongest tea in America. I should probably go to rehab for my addiction.

10Bitmoji
These personalized emoji help me channel my inner 13-year-old girl.

11Paddleboarding
I spend my entire summer on my paddleboard. It's where I get my best ideas.

12The Broken Kilometer
Walter De Maria’s "The Broken Kilometer" and "The New York Earth Room” reopen today. Hours are Wednesday–Sunday, 12–6 pm (closed from 3–3:30 pm). Admission is free. For more information visit www.diaart.org. [IMAGE: Walter De Maria, detail "The Broken Kilometer," 1979. Brass. 500 units, each 78.7 inches length, 2 inches diameter. Dia Art Foundation. Photo: Jon Abbott] #walterdemaria #diaartfoundation

A post shared by Dia Art Foundation (@diaartfoundation) on

This permanent installation by Walter De Maria in the middle of New York's SoHo is hauntingly beautiful. It should be as legendary as Houston's Rothko Chapel.

From: ELLE Decor US


By Ingrid Abramovitch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Only 8 Bar Accessories You Really Need

24 Statement Doors From Around the World

Spooky Caverns Lie Beneath This Unassuming Castle